Saturday 2 July 2016

taming the tongue





Ohhh, the tongue, my nemesis:  like a lion tamer i need to contend with it: 
"If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless" (James 1:26 NLT).
Ouch, that hurt ... and yet, 
"No one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison" (James 3:8 NLT). 
"And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself" (James 3:6 NLT).
So how can i control the uncontrollable?  With God's help, that's how.  
"The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things" (John 14:26 NKJV).
Ohhh again, the Holy Spirit will help tame my nemesis, and produce the characteristics in me to accomplish this.
"But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! (Galatians 5:22-23)". 
Yes, and as such, 
"My tongue will proclaim your righteousness, your praises all day long (Psalm 35:28)". 
And for those times I stumble and my tongue does fumble... there is grace.  I pray tomorrow, I don't need as much grace as I did today.

No comments:

Post a Comment